Who are we?
Smartwielen is a project of the University of Luxembourg, the Zentrum fir politesch Bildung and the LISER. The smartwielen website is an adapted version of smartvote, a so-called VAA (Voting Advice Application) that was first developed in Switzerland in 2003 and is operated by Politools.
University of Luxembourg
- Raphaël KiesResearcher in Political Science
- Dan SchmitDoctoral Candidate in Political Science
The University of Luxembourg is a public research and higher education institution based in Luxembourg. The university consists of three faculties and three interdisciplinary centres.
The Faculty of Language and Literature, Humanities, Arts and Education (FLHASE) is specialised in research in the social sciences and humanities. It consists of three research units. The politcal scientists involved in the smartwielen project are associated with the political governance programme in the “Identités, Politiques, Sociétés, Espaces” (IPSE) research unit.
Zentrum fir politesch Bildung
- Marc SchoentgenDirector
- Michele SchiltDeputy Director
- Jenny GrossProject Manager
The “Zentrum fir politesch Bildung” (Centre for Citizenship Education, ZpB) is an independent foundation that promotes civic engagement by strengthening the understanding of politics, democracy and current societal challenges. Above all it seeks to encourage young people to participate in political life and public discourse. Its work is based on three major pillars:
- Learn: The ZpB develops educational material and continuous trainings on current political and social issues as well as didactics. These are aimed at primary and secondary school teachers as well as child care and youth workers.
- Understand: The ZpB raises awareness about and strengthens the understanding of democratic processes and societal challenges through workshops, debates, conferences and expositions. Moreover, it provides books and other information material in a specialized library.
- Participate: The ZpB organizes competitions and other activities to increase the interest of young people in politics. It supports institutions in the formal and non-formal education sector in the process of setting up or strengthening democratic structures.
Luxembourg Institute of Socio-Economic Research
- Denisa SologonResearcher in Economics
- Peter ShirleyResearcher in Economics
LISER is the socio-economic focusedpublic research instituteof Luxembourg. Its objective isto carry out fundamental and applied research activities in social sciencesto create a deep understanding of societal developments and challenges in a multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary way. LISER consists of threeresearch departments ("Living Conditions", "Labour Market", "Urban Development and Mobility"),three interdisciplinaryResearch Programs ("Health and Health Systems", "Crossing Borders", "DigitalTransformation"), aBehavioral Sciences Centreand a Data Centre.
- Robin Bartlett RissiProject Manager
- Jan FivazFounder
- Daniel SchwarzFounder
- Albert WaaijenbergWeb Design
Smartvote is a Swiss Voting Advice Application (VAA) developed and run by the politically neutral, non-profit organization Politools. Politools is an interdisciplinary scientific network located in Bern, Switzerland, which operates internet-based projects to promote civic education, political transparency as well as politicial analysis. Since 2003, smartvote has informed voters in over 200 elections throughout Switzerland and Europe.
- Cédric Reginster
- Johannes Lötscher
- Matthias Flückiger
A technology company based in Bern, Switzerland, soom-it focuses on the conception, architecture and development of sophisticated custom-made software and web applications. As the main technological partner, soom-it supports the development of the smartvote platform since 2014.